Just six months after officially stepping down as senior members of the British royal family, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are already Hollywood producers with a lucrative new Netflix deal.
According to the New York Times, Wednesday it was revealed that Harry and Meghan have founded a production company and inked a multiyear deal with Netflix, which will allow them to produce documentaries, docu-series, feature films, scripted shows, and children’s programming.
“Our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope,” the dynamic duo said in a statement. “As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us.”
They also noted that Netflix’s “unprecedented reach will help us share impactful content that unlocks action,” which is true given that the streaming service has 193M subscribers worldwide.
Their production company has yet to be named, and while Harry and Meghan may appear on screen in a documentary, Markle has reportedly made it clear that she has no intention of ever returning to acting.
The couple has been living in the Los Angeles area since March, and in the months since have been said to have been quietly in talks with several platforms including Disney and Apple. Earlier this month Variety reported that they had even met with NBCUniversal.
“We’re incredibly proud they have chosen Netflix as their creative home and are excited about telling stories with them that can help build resilience and increase understanding for audiences everywhere,” Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s co-chief executive and chief content officer, said in a statement.
Have you subscribed to theGrio’s podcast “Dear Culture”? Download our newest episodes now!